This time, i’ll be recommending some Shonen manga for mainly girls.. and boys too of course. Well the boys might find this post abit.. meehh.. since i’m sure you guys have read it before.
But after this post, i’ll post another recommendation of good shoujo mangas.
1. One PieceSummary: As a child, Monkey D. Luffy dreamed of becoming the King of the Pirates. But his life changed when he accidentally gained the power to stretch like rubber… at the cost of never being able to swim again! Now Luffy, with the help of a motley collection of pirate wannabes, is setting off in search of the “One Piece,” said to be the greatest treasure in the world…
This one is definitely a must read! I think for the people who are born after 1995 are currently obsessed with Naruto since it is more of their generation. But One Piece is my generation. I started following One Piece since 2004.. I was.. 13 years old. I know it’s quite late but 13 is the age where i can understand enough english. Reading the manga at that time was abit of a challenge to me because it was already up till 100 chapters, so i ended up watching the anime first until the Chopper’s story then started to read the manga from the beginning. and i seriously fell in love with this. 😀
And i know asking you guys to catch up now is a very challenging stuff, but if you are really lookign for a good manga to read since you can’t find any good one, then read this.. you will be able to catch up in a month if you read at least 20 chapters a day.. hahahaha because currently they are up until chapter 598.
2. Fairy TailSummary: Celestial wizard Lucy wants to join the Fairy Tail, a guild for the most powerful wizards. But instead, her ambitions land her in the clutches of a gang of unsavory pirates led by a devious magician. Her only hope is Natsu, a strange boy she happens to meet on her travels. Natsu’s not your typical hero – but he just might be Lucy’s best hope. Fairy Tail won the 2009 Kodansha Manga Award for shounen manga. It has also won The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation’s Industry Awards for best comedy manga.
No, it’s not by the same author as One Piece. The author for this manga is Mashima Hiro, who also drew Rave. Does that ring a bell? I’m sure that the author is very much influeced by One Piece’s author..
The story is interesting, duhh.. So basically there are a number of magician guilds, and each mage (magician) there can pick a job to do with a reward (aka pay) from the notice board. That’s how they got money. and the story pretty much telling the mission/ job that the main character chose, as well as their friendship.
I don’t really know how to recommend this manga to you guys. But i suggest you to give it a shot, at least the first chapter. The first chapter already captivates me enough.. and the appearance of other characters are very likeable, esp Erza!! I’m Erza’s fangirl! oh and Gray too!
3. Nurarihyon no Mago Summary: Rikuo Nura, a middleschooler who is three-fourths human and a quarter demon, lives in a house full of spirits along with his demon grandfather. Trying to keep his human and demon sides separate, Rikuo does good deeds in order to seem more like a “good” human and avoid his classmates’ suspicions. However, the older he grows, the more difficult it becomes to avoid both his demon persona and his obligations as the grandson of not just any demon, but the master of all spirits! Rikuo’s grandfather is looking to make him into his successor, but what does Rikuo want?
Rikuo Nura is about to find out that becoming the master of all spirits isn’t as easy as it sounds.
READ READ READ READ IT!!if you like ghost story like i do. Dont worry, it is not scary at all.. it’s more of a comedy.
Truthfully, i would love it more if the author would insert some more chapters about his life at school while trying to hide his identity as a quarter Yokai. The chapter when they went to school at night was hilarious for me.
At the first few chapters, you might dislike the protagonist because he’s abit hard-headed and weak. Do not worry my people.. later in the middle he will start to get stronger and stronger. and when i say he’s getting stronger, he really improves ALOT. These days this manga is at the peak of its intensity. I can’t wait for the next chapter already!!
4. Parasyte Summary:
Parasyte centers on a teenage boy named Shinichi Izumi who is an ordinary teenage boy. He lives with his mother and father in a rather quiet neighborhood when, one night, an alien invasion occurs. The aliens are called Parasites. They are worm-like creatures that enter human “hosts” through their ears or noses, and take over their brains. A Parasite attempts to crawl into Shinichi’s ear and take over his brain while he sleeps, but is stopped by his headphones and accidentally burrows into one of his hands instead. In the Japanese version, it takes over his right hand and it is named Migi (ミギー), after the Japanese word for “right”.
Because the Parasite infected his hand instead of his brain, Shinichi and Migi each retain their own, separate intellect. This gives them an edge in battling the other Parasites, who frequently attack the pair. Initially other parasites see them as an aberration that needs to be destroyed, but eventually come to see their pairing as a threat. Shinichi also feels compelled to fight other Parasites, who kill and eat humans for food.
The summary was long but that’s the best that i can found.
Yes, this is a HORROR manga. Not horror as in Ghost, but like the movie Saw. Since there are many scenes of them got their head cut off, sliced into half.. and the author actually drew it.. =_=
And the picture that i put up is the most not scary one out of all. The other covers are fine for me but i’m sure there are girls reader out there who doesn’t like seeing it.
So i don’t recommend this to girls who can’t even stand seeing a human opening their mouth and shaping into an octopus to devour another human.
Boys, if you think you’re brave (which i’m sure you guys are), read it.
I actually finished it till the end, and i was hoping there is one more chapter to tell the story of Migi (the alien residing in the protagonist’s hand).
There are some part where the story is quite of a tragedy and it almost teared me up (i think it’s because i read the whole manga in one go, so the influence of the emotion in the manga is quite high).
For a better review on the overall story, and there are spoiler as well, click here. The blog is good since it pretty much covers most of the manga, but i barely saw the famous one.. I’m not really using it since there aren’t many stuff that is more of my taste..
This series is complete.
Yoshina Ageha is a high school student who offers to help people with their problems for 10,000 yen. He’ll take care of your stalkers, find your lost animal, whatever you want. One day when he’s heading home, a nearby pay phone rings, and he picks it up. The only thing he hears however is his own voice echoing. After finding a mysterious card with the word ‘Psyren’ printed on it, his life suddenly changes as he is drawn into a crazy new world.
By reading the summary, it makes you want to read it, isn’t it?? Let’s forget the drawing for a second.
If you are the type who prefer a good drawing over the plot, please bear with it. The art gets better in every chapter.
As much as the story interest me, i only read a few chapters like 20?
It frustrates me waiting for the upcoming chapter and the story just seem to go a bit downhill for me. So i stopped reading.
6. The World God Only KnowsSummary: Katsuragi Keima is known on the net as the god of getting the girls while in real life he’s known as otamegane and he hates all real girls. However he is approached by Elsee, a devil from hell, to help her in catching runaway spirits that hide in people. Apparently the spirits only hide in the hearts of girls and the only way to get the souls out is by making the girl fall in love so the spirit gets forced out. And he’s not allowed to fail or he will lose his head.
Man.. This manga’s idea is hilarious, and the story too! They will release the anime version of this and i am so watching it!!! Who else could win a girl’s heart by relying on the experience of playing a dating simulation? Only Keima!!
The character himself is a Otamegane (Otaku + Megane), those nerdy type, who cannot let go of his PSP for a second. You will notice that he always carried a PSP along with him EVERYWHERE. yes, everywhere. Class… Swimming… Shopping.. He did not pay much attention to the class yet he’s the top student.. How i wish i was him.. T^T
Each chapter / story are interesting. Since it’s about runaway spirits hiding in girl’s heart, and you know how many girls there are in the world, and how different their personality are. So Keima has to use different approaches to make the girl fall in love with him, starting from the Tsundere.. Idol.. etc etc.. It’s funny how he always calculate his next tactic by using his knowledge of his games. and how he hates REAL girls and preferred 2D girls. He’s not gonna be the next man to marry his DS right… in his case will be PSP. ;p
This manga suits both boys and girl. It’s a MUST READ!
7. Hayate the Combat Butler Summary: Hayate Ayasaki, 16, world’s unluckiest boy. Currently working because his parents are unemployed and heavily indebted to yakuza and already sold his body to them. His mistress saved him from that fate and employ him as live-in butler. Now is the beginning of an age filled with beautiful underage mistresses who crazy in love with the world’s handsomest butler… Who am I kidding, of course not! Now is the challenge of being servant to a dark mistress whose lair filled with minions, wild animals, dangerous seductresses, and lost manuals of forgotten treasures… hang on, it’s not right! Let’s try again! Now is the beginning of the age of shut-in hermits, indoor neets, murderous harems, cursed treasures of ancients, unrequitted love, and double suicides…. maybe not the doublesuicides then. Ah well, just read it, will you?
Umm.. Don’t complain about the drawing first.. It does looks like an elementary students’ drawing (i’m sorry), but let’s just think of the plot, kay?
The plot itself is okay..
But i stopped reading till chapter 14.. hehe
and i forgot what the story is all about.. SORRY!!!! *punch myself*
8. Naruto One of the most popular manga. Don’t think i have to say much about this but i read Naruto from the beginning and watch the anime but i stopped up until Sasuke was ‘kidnapped’ by the slytherin guy aka Orochimaru. His name sounds cute though but he’s bad guy.
Anyway, i stopped reading up until there because it gets.. boring for me.. These days though it gets better and better but i haven’t read it yet. That was a quotation from a girl friend of mine.
9. Bakuman Summary: It’s not easy to become and live as a mangaka, as Mashiro knows from his late uncle.
At 9th grade, while trying to keep up with reality, school and then a normal job, he left his notebook with a sketch of Azuki, a girl he likes. Takagi, a first-rate student found it and tries to convince Mashiro to draw a manga with his story. Mashiro doesn’t like the idea and declines.
Takagi, however, sticks to his dream and found out that Azuki wants to be a voice actress and has already gotten a good reply from a production company. Takagi then brought Mashiro to her house and told her his dream… Mashiro then tells her that he will write a manga with Takagi and will ask Azuki to voice their anime.
Out of confusion, Mashiro asks her if their dreams become reality, will she marry him? She says yes, only if their dreams become true, and not otherwise!! Now, the lives of wannabe mangakas begin!!!
Nominated for the 3rd Manga Taisho Award (2010).
For those you mangaka-wannabe, read this to make sure you are aware of what’s ahead of you. The same author from Death Note which means: messy, too many dialogue, crowded, and more and more and more reading.
I couldn’t stand it anymore so i stop reading it. Death Note was okay because of the story plot but the dialogue in Bakuman are mostly about explaining the manga system, how to draw, technique, the publishing company, which i am not so interested in. But not bad for a knowledge. Treat it like a fun history book.
10. Itsumo Misora *completed* Summary: While on a field trip in the 3rd grade a group of six students rescue an artifact from a burning temple. The God of the shrine grants them special powers that will come to life when they turn 13 years old. Reunited by chance in Junior High the six students are each bestowed with a single unusual power and struggle to find the proper use of the power both alone and with each other. But time is running out because they are not the only ones granted powers by the God of the shrine…
I’ve always love manga by Mitsuru Adachi. Most of his/her manga is about sports but an exception for this one, even though there are a little bit of sports in it. I like how they draw it very neatly and simple.
If you like simple arts but good story then i recommend this. MUST READ Try give it a shot of the author’s other story:
11. Cross Game– baseball *completed*Summary
Kitamura Koh has known the Tsukishima family for years. One of the Tsukishima daughters was even born on the exact same date as Koh! What will become of Koh when his best friend is no longer around?
12. Niji-Iro Togarashi– ancient times about samurai but fun.*completed* Summary
We start with our main protagonist, Shichimi, bidding farewell as he readies for his journey into Edo (on our Earth, Edo was the old name of Tokyo before it became the capital of Japan). His mother has just died, only leaving him a walnut and a request for him to go to his half-siblings. Shichimi bids farewell to a sternly old man, who is a firefighter. We can tell this from the symbol on his cloak. This symbol is also on Shichimi’s cloak. Upon reaching the town of Edo, Shichimi meets a mysterious man, who ridicules the peace of the world as an illusion.
MUST READ! The color page sucks but the real manga is good.
13. H2 – swimming *completed*Summary
Hiro has two loves: baseball and porn. But due to an elbow injury he gives up baseball choosing a school with no baseball team. His childhood friend Hikari attends a different school with baseball ace Hideo and the two wish Hiro had not given up baseball. Hiro joins the soccer team but meets Haruka, a very clumsy girl, who is manager of the unofficial baseball club. When the soccer team challenges the baseball club to a game, with hopes of humiliating them, the baseball club nearly loses until Hiro, disgusted by the soccer team’s arrogance, switches to the baseball club.
14. Katsu– boxing *completed*Summary
Satoyama Katsuki is a carefree 15 year-old high school kid, and a pretty lazy one at that. However, he secretly has a crush on a girl who happens to share his name: Mizutani Katsuki. Upon finding out that Mizutani’s father used to be a pro-boxer, and she herself infatuated with the sport, he reluctantly joins a boxing gym in order to impress Mizutani. Satoyama is quick to find out he may have the blood of a genius boxer running through his veins…
15. Rough– swimming *completed*Summary
Rough is a romance/sports story by the great Adachi, and this time he seems to have been inpired by Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet: Yamato Keisuke, a promising freestyle swimmer, and Ninomiya Ami, a talented diver, are the offsprings of two rival families owners of confectionery shops. Two generations ago, Grandfather Ninomiya came up with an idea for an owl-shaped cake, but Grandfather Yamato quickly raised to the challenge and thought of a similar cake–but in Yamato’s the owl had ears. Because they’re priced the same, Yamato’s extra ears were crucial, and that made the business of the Ninomiya confectionery suffered. Grandfather Ninomiya then fell ill worrying about his shop. Before his death, his last words were “I was killed by the Yamatos”, and since that moment the two families have been sworn rivals.
16. Touch– baseball*completed* Summary
Touch follows the lives of three people: Kazuya and Tatsuya Uesugi (identical twin brothers) and Minami Asakura. They’ve lived next to each other since they were babies, and their parents even built a playhouse in the yard between the houses in order to keep them outside and not destroying the regular houses. As they grew into their teens, they suddenly noticed that one of them was a girl, and Kazuya and Minami became closer. Kazuya, the younger twin, was an excellent student (as was Minami).
Tatsuya is really talented but also a bit of a slacker. Since middle school, Kazuya has received awards and recognition for excellence as a pitcher and baseball player. Tatsuya, however, is more inclined to let his brother take the limelight, as he is unwilling to directly compete with Kazuya. This includes Minami as well; while most people (including their parents) suggest that Minami and Kazuya will make a perfect couple, Minami tends to prefer Tatsuya.
That’s all.. i guess.. for now?
I’m sorry if it is not really a review, it is more of a recommendation. Sorry if it does not suit your taste. 😀